Thursday, March 17, 2016

Obstacles

  1. What have you learned about your topic?
  2. What have you learned about yourself?
  3. Have you had any setbacks? How do you plan to handle them, or how did you already handle them?
  4. What are the next steps in your process?
  5. How can you apply anything you have learned to yourself, your school, your community, etc.?

So far I have not learned very much past Stand by Me. I have chosen to stick with this song for a little longer because I grasp the major concepts and can play the cords. However, I still am struggling with the transfer from chord to chord and maintaining the tempo. I also understand the strumming pattern, however I think with a little more attention to my transfers. To overcome these obstacles, I plan on spending at least 15 minutes on each transfer per day. To overcome my struggle with keeping tempo, I will strum to the songs strum pattern (without playing the chords) to different tempo's. 

Unfortunately, I had several other obstacles that hampered my progress over the past 2 weeks. Specifically, I went on a class field trip to LA and have been sick ever since I got back. because of this, I could not practice and unfortunately have lost some of my previous skill. Through this process I have learned that I need to work on time management and plan ahead. If I know I'll be gone for a weekend I should double up on practices the week before. Ultimately, the lessons I've learned through this process in general terms is to plan ahead and for a worst case scenario.

My next step would be to wrap up Stand by Me and move on to Wonder Wall by Oasis. 

2 comments:

  1. It is good that you are practicing by learning songs, but at some point make sure you understand scales and arpeggios and stuff. For now, if you run out of easy stuff to learn, here is a great site that has a ton of it: http://www.guitarnick.com/easy-guitar-songs-for-absolute-beginners-tab.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that the progress goals you have set for yourself aren't too rigorous, that way you can really focus on your technique. It sounds like a lot of your setback were things that were out of your control like sickness and field trips so don't worry too much! Maybe post a video of your progress as it picks up so the readers of your blog have a visual aid!

    ReplyDelete